Search Engine Marketing StrtategiesHarry Brooks, Network Solutions
Providing guidance to the community about how to use SEM.
Five basic steps:
- Build Content - SEO
- Build Backlinks - SEO
- Launch Your Pay-per-Click Campaign
- Analyze Your Results
Build Content - Identify Profitable KeywordsNeed to figure out what people are looking for to find something (think of what the customer does when they are searching the YellowPages).
- Research Phase: start with - "dentist office"
- Shopping Phase: refinement - "dentist office in fairfax, va"
- Buying Phase: specific need - "cosmetci dentist in fairfax, va"
Search for keywords and/or phrases - google Keyword Tool, KeyWord Tracker, Compete, Market Samuri
Build Content - Key On-Page ElementsNeed to have the following done on the website itself (on page optimization):
- Title Tag - very important for ranking
- Description Tag - compel a user to click in the search results
- Keyword Tag - misspellings, relevant words
- Headline - tell the user what the page is about
- Alt Text - describe images (also include the title name/value pair)
- Body Copy - 250 words or more
- Links - text is best
Building Backlinks for SEOLinks provide testimonials - more testimonials means higher ranking. BUT, the links that are driving back to you MUST be of high ranked people/sites.
Internal links are also beneficial - helps rank your own content.
MUST have outbound links to other websites - it could be considered spam (Huh?)
Easy way to get links to your site:
- Ask the webmasters of sites for them
- Yahoo Directories - good for the multi-links from Yahoo (but you may have to pay) or you can do the sitemap yourself and submit it via the Yahoo Site Explorer
- DMOZ.org - Open Directory Project - a link from it is because it is a peer-reviewed site that determines the relevance
- Press Releases - PRWeb.com allows for SEO optimized distributed press releases
- Article - ezinearticles.com - post the article and the link back to the website
- Web 2.0 - do the other stuff first - and then build up the links
- Forums - on your signature, the links are value
- Blogs - posting comments can (at times) provide backlinks in the signature [Ed Note: far too many of the links are NOFOLLOW, which means it will not add backlink quality]
- Reciprocal links - use your judgment, as long as the shared site is relevant, then it is good.
Pay-Per-ClickWhen PPC and organic listing share a search result page, you can expect:
- 45% increase in the "call-to-action" taken
- 45% increase in orders
Track ActivitiesWhen PPC and organic listing share a search result page, you can expect:
- google Analytics
- Who's Calling
- Network Solutions Tracking System
- 45% increase in orders