REBOOTHanson Robotics - demonstrating expression-based robots - androids, expression engines. Reminds me of the concept that are coming out of the Willow Garage efforts. Character Engine robotics - could make machines empathetic (but would the military want it?)
Naturally 7 - The award-winning gospel, rhythm and blues, jazz and soul septet from New York City. Site: www.n7house.de
Great videos here: Naturally 7 in Paris Subway Naturally 7 "Feel It In The Air Tonight"
Bill Gates - speaking on philanthropy.
Life expectancy gone up, and child mortality went down.
Measles has been reduced - can we do the same with malaria?
How do you stop a disease spread by mosquitoes?Today - malaria is now based in the poor countries (200M people at any one time suffering)
He releases a jar of mosquitoes in the audience (nervous giggle by audience)
Tools get evolved around - the disease can figure out where to go next...
Gates discusses the challenges on how to address the problem of malaria - and how to solve the problems found within the system of governments, tools, drugs and such.
How do you make a teacher great?In the US, we have built great 20% of the students - and they have done amazing things. Need to find a way to allow for the rest of the country to benefit - in science, maths and such.
Over 30% of kids do not finish high school - in the US, for minority kids - over 50%.
If you are lower income, you have less than 30% of graduating with a four-year degree! Easier to go to jail than getting a college education.
What are the characteristics of the top quartile teachers?
- Masters has little effect on a "good teacher"
- After a teacher gets "good", time does little to "improve over
- Slightly better teachers leave the system.
How to overcome the challenges?
- Video the good teachers and make the courses available over the 'net
Q/A: "Bill Gates Releases More Bugs"
- Economy: next four years are going to be tough, but he wants to make sure that the poorest are not ignored.
- BGFoundation - $3.8B spent in global health care issues - need diversity of ideas and more money [head shake here - did Bill Gates just say "diversity of ideas"?]
- Key thing to reduce population growth is to improve health - problem has been that when the disease burden is HIGH, the population creates more to overcome the disease burden.
- How can we keep the "dotty" teachers without making them "vanilla"? We need to objectively look at how they do "well". It should be a meritocracy - allowing for eccentricity.
- BG got good because luck and skill occurred - and then he got "nurtured" by other people - sort of the journeyman/apprentice program.
- What will be on BG's tombstone?
In human responses, there are : Resignation, Anger or Possibility - and TED has always chosen possibility