Thursday, October 13

First *real* Yom Kippur in New York City

You know - after so many years of being a relative of so many New Yorkers, I finally got a chance to see what it was like to be in New York for Yom Kippur. Last year, I was in London - and the experience was not the same - I felt quite dislocated in some way.

This year, I took it upon myself to go to a Yom Kippur service at B'Nai Jeshurun - the second oldest New York congregation. This congregation is over 180 years old - and has a vibrancy and energy that I woul dnever have anticipated. Last year, I did go to the oldest congregation with my modern orthodox friend - but BJ (as it is affectionately called) was much more accessible and connectable. I spent the 25 hours fasting - one of the worst experiences since I have been far too addicted to my Italian stovetop espresso maker - but the closing service had me so emotional - I was at a loss for words.

New York is quite an intriguing place - and I have to say, BJ is one of those dimensions that bring intriguing color for the local resident.

No comments: