Thursday, January 20

Lessons That I Still Try to Learn

Recently, I was cleaning out some old files and discovered one of my pages that came from a job I did back in 1997. I had created a website at my school and called the page "Lessons Learned".

Today, I was looking at it and realized that, no matter how smart you are - these lessons are always good to remember and go over - again and again. Not sure who wrote them first, but they sound good to me again.

Lessons to Be Learned

  • Put yourself in other's shoes
  • Listen
  • See the "good" in all others
  • Assess the situation before charging ahead (Ready, Aim, Fire)
  • Find ways to develop relationships/trust outside of "normal" business conditions
  • Write more things down and sooner (strawman)
  • Answer questions first then explain your answer - and only if someone asks
  • Gage "level" of audience to properly tailor your message
  • Don't be so sensitive - don't take things personally
  • Give status updates on important initiatives
  • Strive to keep decision-makers abreast of key developments
  • Keep your eye on high-leverage items always (80/20 rule)
  • Don't get distracted by multiple projects/opportunities
  • Finish some projects before starting new ones
  • Try to leverage the skills/abilities of others
  • Don't try to do everything yourself
  • Bring your business cards everywhere
  • Be on time for meetings
What are some of the lessons you remember on a daily basis? Share them please.

No comments: