Saturday, May 10

Day Z-1: Last day in Sydney and the Taronga Zoo

While I have yet to publish a post on what happened on my side trip to Melbourne (work related), yesterday and today were the last days I had in Sydney and they were entertaining in the least.

Yesterday, I discovered the joy of flying JetStar out of Melbourne - well, actually Avalon - a full 54 km away from Melbourne. Consider I had to get up at 6:15am to get to the bus at 7:10am which got me to Avalon at 8:15am for a 9:10am flight (which got delayed for another 20 minutes!). Suffice it to say, my day was a lot slower than I expected. I spent the remainder of the day using the Sydney Monorail (yes, just like Walt Disney World) which showed me Darling Harbor, Paddy's Market (not worth it - we have better flea markets in the States), Cockle Bay and just a relaxing last night in Sydney.

Today, I had to pack and get ready to catch the flight tonight - and after we checked out, we headed to the Taronga Zoo. Not sure if you have ever been to Sydney, but this is a better destination than I thought it would be. The exhibits are terrific, the animals diverse and dynamic (believe it or not, a lot of them were awake!) and the special tour ($100 per person) which gives you a chance to go behind the scenes - well worth the experience. Next time, I will do the Zoo with days before I fly out - I could have spent another six hours there.

I have loads of photos of the exhibits - and will happily add them to my Flickr feed soon. Now getting ready for the flight to Honolulu and then flying to Chicago and then back to Philadelphia. All holidays must come to an end, right?

No comments: